August 01, 2003

going under

I was just reading an article about how the group Evanescence essentially decided to make their group completely secular, breaking all ties to their Christian roots. I really have a problem with this. Many groups switch between 'genres' in order to change their image (and ultimately try to make more money).

I remember once hearing Tarzan Dan saying he felt sorry for DC Talk for being labelled a christian group, back when they released that song to the secular world (i can't remember the name). U2 claims to be christian and in fact I've read Bono is a very strong christian, but they don't play christian music. Sixpence is another group that switches back and forth. Deliriou5 has released secular songs in the past.

For those reasons it doesn't bother me. I'm more concerned about whether they've truly denounced God, or if they're just doing it for their image/money. Whether they've decided to stop singing for the Christian genre or not doesn't affect whether I listen to them or not. It's really between them and God.

It brings us back to that 'you can't be saved twice, type of deal'. If they've been saved, and are now denouncing it, it's over for them. So for their sake, I hope it's just for ratings.

Regardless, Going Under is a pretty good song, though I had to listen to it 2-3 times before I started to like it.

No comments: