January 19, 2009

Second post about broccoli

I posted about broccoli a couple of years ago and here I am doing it again. Broccoli is one of my all time favorite vegetables. I like them raw or cooked, however, I do not like them mushy.

I could never figure out why grocery stores would sell broccoli for the same price as broccoli crowns. Now I know why. Found this on the web.

Question:

Does the stem of broccoli have the same nutritient content as the florets for those people who prefer to eat only the stems?

Answer:

Thanks for your question. The stems of broccoli are a good source of insoluble fiber, but do not have the same beta-carotene, potassium or vitamin C content of the florets.

So basically the stems are junk and worthless to farmers, otherwise why charge the same price?

No comments: