September 05, 2006

Dear Frankie

Here's one of the pictures that Blogger lost..

Anyway, I wanted to write about this movie I saw yesterday called "Dear Frankie". I think I remember seeing the trailer for it when watching Millions at the theatre. At the time, I really wanted to watch it but when it did finally come out I think I was too busy. It was on TMN yesterday and it being Labor Day and having the day off, I curled up on the couch and watched it with my brother.

It was a good movie, better than I expected. This was just a great story about a mother's love for her son, the fears of mis-parenting, not being able to please, and the struggles of being a single parent. What was great about it is that it avoided many cop-outs that I could have seen a LA studio conforming to. It ended in a happy, bittersweet kind of way without the glitzy glamor of American movies. I really, really like these european flicks, especially the Irish/British/UK stuff. They strip away the Hollywood-ness of films and really get to the heart of it.

I wouldn't say the movie was as good as Millions, but it was still good. I give it a 10/10.

No comments: