March 03, 2010

Memories in a box

My wife and I have been spending around 30-40 minutes each night in our basement, going through boxes, throwing things out, and especially, being reminded of old keepsakes.

There was one boxes full of my notes, from university. Most of them looked entirely foreign to me. Even the handwriting didn't look like mine, and you can forget about the math -- that stuff looked like it was written in a different language. There was another box full of old pictures, Christmas cards, Birthday cards, and several handbooks which I found quite amusing.

During my teenage years I never really understood why Teen's Conference was considered a "Meat Market". I even remember a young Kevin Lai in a skit standing at the edge of the stage waving a large cleaver. I didn't understand that. I guess in those days I was too innocent about what was going on around me.

As I looked through some of my old TC handbooks, I quickly realized that there may have been a lot more going on than I had ever realized at the time. For one thing, not a lot of comments from boys, but a ton from girls. I guess at that age girls were a lot more chatty.

Secondly I was surprised to see the number of girls who left their phone number, so that, um, we could discuss sermons?

Also, instead of comments you might expect like "gee, we sure had a lot of fun, huh?", I saw comments like "I hope you remember me" and "xxxoooxxx". How bizarre..

We still have tons of boxes so I'm sure I'll have more funny stories to share. I threw out all my notes but some of the handbooks/birthday cards I couldn't help but keep.

Good times.

No comments: