January 11, 2012

Today's thoughts

OWNit365 NT+
My wife and I started this bible reading program last night, which we'll attempt to follow so as to bring some regularity to our bible reading.  It's got a neat app for both iPhone and Android.

NFL Playoff weekend
Let's take a look at the matchups coming up this weekend.

New Orleans Saints at San Francisco 49ers.  What impressed me a lot with the Saints last week was their ability to run the ball.  Pierre Thomas ran through tackles and Darren Sproles ran like he was 24.  It was impressive, but I've been to a Lions game before where I saw Michael Turner earn his nickname as the Burner.  They just aren't very good at stopping the run.  And the 49ers are, so that will change things for the Saints.  I don't know a lot about the 49ers passing defense but I know for a fact that they have stopped the run for the most part all season long; which is why I've always felt like their defense would have been better suited in the AFC.  All the powerhouse offenses in the NFC are aerial attacks: Detroit, Green Bay, New Orleans.  While New England is the exception, Pittsburgh, Denver, Houston and Baltimore are all grind-it-out offenses that rely on the run.  So anyway, what I am saying?  I think the Saints take this one.

Denver Broncos at New England Patriots.  The Broncos surprised everyone, including me last week.  While I thought there was a potential for an upset, and though I actually predicted it, deep down I didn't really think it could happen.  John Fox outcoached Mike Tomlin, but I think it seemed more like an underestimation on his part.. like Tomlin was looking ahead, to the Patriots instead of looking at the hear and now.  Bill Belicheat won't do that.  He won't underestimate Tim Tebow, and he'll study hard and he won't get outsmarted by John Fox.  Plus he just hired the guy who drafted Tim Tebow.  I'm not going to say much about that the hiring of Josh McDaniels, except that it feels like something Phil Jackson would do.  Even if McDaniels provides no additional information they already have, already he's getting into the mind of John Fox.  And that's all he really needs.  My pick is the Patriots, in a blowout.

Houston Texans at Baltimore Ravens.  Throughout his career, I've always felt like Joe Flacco has gotten by behind his superstar running back Ray Rice, and Baltimore's traditionally staunch defense.  I think in this matchup, for the first time in many years, Joe Flacco will be called upon to win this game.  If he performs, Baltimore moves on.  If not, Houston moves on.  Defensively both teams are strong in the same areas; stopping the run, getting to opposing QBs, capitalizing on turnovers, etc.  Offensively, they're both great at protecting their QB, and running the ball.  I think for the Texans to win, they need Arian Foster to hang onto the ball, and they need TJ Yates to outplay Joe Flacco.  I think it'll be close but the Texans have a pretty good chance so I'm picking them to take this one.

New York Giants at Green Bay Packers.  To me this is the marquee matchup of the weekend.  We all know about the Packers.  Their offense is nothing short of spectacular.  Aaron Rodgers is fearless.  They have almost no running game but they do have talented runners in Starks and Grant.  Their pass rush is passable but has not played to the same standards as last year.  The Giants have a good pass rush, good pass protection, their offense is hitting their stride and peaking at the right moment.  The talent has always been there, but their runningbacks are both healthy.  Defensively they are okay, not great.

This should be a great matchup.  The Packers barely beat the Giants over a month ago, but it was a very close game and this is a very different Giants team who had lost 3 straight going into that game.  Since then they've won 4 of 5.  The Giants will be able to keep Rodgers off the field.. in that last matchup the Packers had the ball for 8 minutes more than the Giants, so it's going to be a lot closer this time around.  I think the Packers take this one, but it'll be close and I would not be surprised to see the Giants keeping this one very close. 

Cool Firefox trick for images
I discovered this by accident today.  If you right-click and hold on an image in firefoxt, and then move the mouse wheel, you can resize any image.  Pretty useful.

No comments: