July 30, 2002

I went to the t3c Genesis (our college/career group) summer retreat. I went into it hoping to meet some people and make some friends, and I think I did just that. Sometimes I forget that in a larger church, everyone has busy lives and it's hard to slow things down and stop and get to know people. I'm glad I went to the retreat, aside from the 5 mosquito bites I got on my feet!

A friend of mine forwarded me a free long distance site, anywhere in Ontario. I have yet to try it, since I lost all my Ottawa numbers. Anyway, to sign up, go to http://www.labattblueline.com.

Something that struck me at the retreat was when the speaker was talking about how someone at his church speaks very passionately about Krispy Kreme donuts, and that when we talk about God, we should get excited like that. In truth, the only person I've ever known to speak about God the way I might talk about say, computer games or football, is Pastor Ted, who is at SCBC now. Even other pastors who speak on Sundays, they don't speak passionately, not like they're excited about what they are preaching. What really struck me is that the speaker said that if we can't talk *THAT* passionately about God, then we haven't really experienced God's love.

I mean, I can tell you all about a video game and how great it is, but in order for you to really experience the same type of passion that I might have for it, you would have to experience it for itself. And on the flip end of that, it means that I would have experienced it myself, otherwise I would not have been so passionate about it. The same goes with sharing the love of Christ. I've known friends to talk to me passionately about their work, video games, sports they play, books they read, etc. But I can't remember the last time someone approached me about being excited about God's love. That's something to think about.

No comments: