April 05, 2007

More than meets the eye

I get a lot of comments about how I look a lot younger than I really am. I get carded at bars, and after they see my ID, they either apologize or say "WOW". Well folks, I'm here to tell you not to be fooled any longer. I am old or in the process of getting old.

We were talking at work about the Florida Gators, in particular we were talking about Joakim Noah's father Yannick Noah. Well the thing is the father once won a French Open Championship (tennis) back in his hey day. The funny part is that one of my co-workers remembered it. Turns out actually that a bunch of the Gators' players' fathers were famous professional athletes, although I hadn't heard of any of them. The Maryland Terrapins have a player named DJ Strawberry. I couldn't make the connection at first.. they kept showing Darryl Strawberry, the great baseball player and at first I couldn't figure out why they kept showing him on camera. Turns out they are father and son. The moral of the story: When you are watching sports, and you can remember cheering on the fathers of today's stars.. you are old.

Transformers and TMNT. When I watched the original Transformers, I was hitting the tail end of it. The cartoons I remember most fondly are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Duck Tales and Talespin. So when I see a movie being made of a cartoon that was practically before my time, that's kind of scary. Of course even without Transformers, the fact that we were in grade 6-7 when the original live-action TMNT movies were released already says a lot.

Here's another one. Fashion. What's in and what's not in. I find more and more I am seeing people walking around in clothes that I saw people wearing when I was small. The fashion-cycle or loop or whatever you want to call it has made a full circle. I wonder if I can find my glasses from grade 1. Maybe they're back in..

No comments: