September 12, 2002

Let me share with you guys something that's been going through my mind, all through this job search, and even through 4th year. As always, I'll add some humor into it so that you don't read halfway and fall asleep. Here's scene from Seinfeld, Episode 12 - Season 2. The episode was called "The Revenge" for all you movie trivia buffs.

JERRY: So, what are you gonna do now? Are you gonna look for something else in real estate?
GEORGE: Nobody's hiring now. The market's terrible.
JERRY: So what are you gonna do?
GEORGE: I like sports. I could do something in sports.
JERRY: Uh-huh. Uh-huh. In what capacity?
GEORGE: You know, like the general manager of a baseball team or something.
JERRY: Yeah. Well, that - that could be tough to get.
GEORGE: Well, it doesn't even have to be the general manager. Maybe I could be like, an announcer. Like a caller man. You know how I always make those interesting comments during the game.
JERRY: Yeah. Yeah. You make good comments.
GEORGE: What about that?
JERRY: Well, they tend to give those jobs to ex-ballplayers and people that are, you know, in broadcasting.
GEORGE: Well, that's really not fair.
JERRY: I know. Well, okay. Okay. What else do ya like?
GEORGE: Movies. I like to watch movies.
JERRY: Yeah. Yeah.
GEORGE: Do they pay people to watch movies?
JERRY: Projectionists.
GEORGE: That's true.
JERRY: But you gotta know how to work the projector.
GEORGE: Right.
JERRY: And it's probably a union thing.
GEORGE: [scoffs] Those unions. [sighs] Okay. Sports,...movies. What about a talk show host?
JERRY: Talk show host. That's good.
GEORGE: I think I'd be good at that. I talk to people all the time. Someone even told me once they thought I'd be a good talk show host.
JERRY: Really?
GEORGE: Yeah. A couple of people. I don't get that, though. Where do you start?
JERRY: Well, that's where it gets tricky.
GEORGE: You can't just walk into a building and say " I wanna be a talk show host."
JERRY: I wouldn't think so.
GEORGE: It's all politics.
JERRY: All right. Okay. Sports, movies, talk show host. What else?
GEORGE: This could have been a huge mistake.
JERRY: Well, it doesn't sound like you completely thought this through.
GEORGE: [sighs] What should I do?

Basically what happened in that episode, if you don't remember, is George erupted in anger at his boss, quit, and the next day he is reflecting about it with Jerry, and they're discussing what he'll do now that he has no job.

I think this episode hits home, because like me, George isn't really good at any one thing, and he doesn't know what he wants in life. He's sort of just doing what he does because there's nothing else to do. He asks Jerry for help, and Jerry tries to walk him through the things that George likes and dislikes, to see maybe where and what he was meant to do in life. I had this same conversation with someone a month ago, and the conversation pretty much ended the same way. I've also been having this conversation with God as well, but no feedback yet.

I can just picture it now, 15 years from now, I'll be bald, I'll be living at home with my parents, my crazy parents. I'll have crazy adventures, but they'll never amount to anything. In the end I'll be working in the Skydome, as the assistant to the travelling secretary of the Blue Jays.

JERRY: The New York Yankees?!
GEORGE: The New York Yankees!
JERRY: Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle ... Costanza?
GEORGE: I'm the assistant to the travelling secretary. I'm going on the road trips with them! I'll be on the plane... I'm working in Yankee Stadium! This is a dream, I'm busting, Jerry, I'm busting!
JERRY: I can't believe it.
( The door buzzes, it's Elaine, Jerry buzzes her in )
GEORGE: And I'm moving out of my parents' house, I'm taking that apartment on 86th street, remember the one we saw?
JERRY: That's a great place!
GEORGE: I'm back in business, baby!

That's me. One day.

No comments: