June 08, 2005

Always

by Hillsong United

Did You rise the sun for me?
Or paint a million start that I might
Know Your majesty?
Is Your voice upon the wind?
Is everything I've known marked
With my maker's fingerprints?

Pre-Chorus:
Breathe on me
Let me see Your face
Forever I will seek You

Chorus:
'Cause all You are, is all I want, always
Draw me close in Your arms
O God, I wanna be with You

Can I feel You in the rain?
Abandon all I am to have You
Capture me again
Let the earth resound with praise
Can You hear as all creation lives
To glorify one name?
This is a song that I've been listening to for the past couple of weeks. I think it just percolates the idea of constant worship, constantly seeking Christ, constantly standing before Him, no matter where we are.

I have been bickering on and off about worship. And this morning as I was singing this song and marching up the escalator to work, it dawned on me that God created us all differently. Each of us worship differently. Some of us need to *feel* something, while others can feel nothing. Some need to exalt Him using long sentences and profess intricate details, while for others, a simple I love You is enough. For some, meditating on lyrics is enough, while others may feel the need to harmonize and sing with a full-scale band or choir.

And what it all comes down to, is just pleasing God.

There are two issues at hand here. One, is pleasing God. The other, is getting yourself to place where you feel like you're communing with God. Both are actually the same thing but as humans, there is a separation between the two because we're all wired differently.

I feel like a worship leader's responsibility, aside from us worshipping too, is to try to take the rest of the congregation closer to that point where they are in tune with the worship at hand. Hmm.. I don't have the words to describe it.

wqotw has an interesting and somewhat related quote this week on this subject.

I'll finish my thoughts later, as they come to me.

No comments: