June 15, 2005

If there is one thing you could do and you knew you couldn't fail, what would it be?

This is question #1 in the Networking class I am attending at church. The purpose of the class is to find your spiritual gifts, and the first part is to find your passion. I could not answer that question for the longest time. I have been pondering the answer to it for about a week and I am slowly reaching an answer.

Alfred and I stood at the elevator waiting to go down. He told me how he had meetings from 9am-1pm today. We both rolled our eyes. We're both sick of work again, and it's not March this time. The two of us have been brainstorming over the last 3-4 months about what we can do so that we can quit our jobs and still make a living, doing something else.

In the subway I read my paper as usual. There was an ad for perfumes and we revisited another one of Alf's brilliant business ideas. There's gotta be something we can do. I wagered a bet with Alf saying that not one single person in the subway car was happy with their jobs. I mean you look at everyone, they've got this gloomy look like they're heading towards impending doom. It's the same look every day. People have these blank looks on their faces in the mornings, and then an exhausted look in the evenings, with a hint of dread because they know they'll just have to go back and do it again tomorrow.

Okay so I might exaggerating slightly. But it is still the truth.

I suggested that maybe we could sell stuff on eBay for a living. Alf suggested getting stuff wholesale from China. It could be anything. Buy something for $1, sell it for $3.. that could work. King. Alf went to work. I switched on my mp3 player. The bridge from "Sing" was playing (Hillsong United).

I'll give my life for You Lord
For all You've done
I'll give my life for You Lord
For all You've done
I'll give my life for You Lord
For all You've done
I'll give my life for You Lord
For all You've done
I'll give my life
It reminded me that the only way to reach the state of pure joy, was to be giving my life to God. And it made me think about my passion again. What's the one thing I would do if I knew I couldn't fail?

I would quit my job. I would take guitar lessons, drum lessons, and voice lessons. And then I would start a band. That's my answer in a nutshell.

1 comment:

Psycho Girl said...

I love my job! I wish I could live and breathe my job 24 hours a day 7 days a week!

Oh wait ... I already do that =P ...

Isn't joy about letting go of what we want and moving into what God wants ... and if we're not finding Joy in our work ... isn't it a case of US not having the right mindset about the circumstances in which God put us in?

Paul found joy even when he was in chains ... because he was in chains for Christ.