September 10, 2003

no pauley shore for me
Today I had Jury Duty. It was basically just the selection process. I got really lucky. Basically there are about 200 people brought in the courtroom, and first they do screening for like people who are physically unable, or might know the people involved in the case, or might know the witnesses, etc. This process took all morning, from 10am til about 12:30pm.

People were coming up with the stupidest excuses. After they read out all the possible witnesses (there were about 50 of them), one guy claimed that "one of them might be my fiancee's second cousin". Uh-huh... yeah right.

One old guy said he couldn't hear higher pitched voices of women. The judge said "I think most of us suffer from the same thing!" and told the man to sit back down. Haha...

One lady claimed to know two of the doctors listed on the witness list. But when she was asked how old each of them were... she got them both wrong. Haha.

One guy claimed he'd be a bad juror because he has a bad short term memory. He went ahead and explained how he forgot the room number of the courtroom, minutes after someone told him.

After the screening, they separated the group into different panels.

First panel goes through interviews to see if lawyers from both parties agree on them. That group was to go through the process this afternoon. I sat there anxious that they might call me.

They estimated the case would take at least 2 months, which would have been bad for me since my contract ends in two months. It would be highly unlikely for me to get a contract extension, if I had spent the last two months in court!

Anyway, there were 5 panels in total of about 20-40 people each, the last one being ordered back for Friday afternoon. I was one of the lucky few at the end!

The judge ordered us to return on Monday at 9:15am in case they had not found the 12 jurors they were looking for out of the first 150 people.

Hopefully they will have selected the 12 by then..

No comments: