October 03, 2011

Weekend thoughts

Dallas Cowboys
Why do the Dallas Cowboys throw the ball so much?  First of all let me just congratulate the Detroit Lions on being 4-0.  That's awesome stuff.  But in this game, Dallas had the lead 50 out of 60 minutes, and somehow Romo threw the ball 47 times.  That does not make sense to me at all.  Even if their offensive line is terrible, they have got to find better ways to control the clock. 

Wedding weekend
I can't remember if it's our 3rd or 4th wedding of the year, but it was a good one.  Ina was a bridesmaid and it was the last of her remaining "closest" friends to get married.  The couple ran into a bit of a snafu which I thought (if it had been me) could have put a serious downer on the whole occasion.  The restaurant they had selected for their banquet had a fire, and they found out about this on Friday, the day before the banquet.  But they were able to pull some strings and figure things out.

Congrats to Janey and Norm!

Superbowl half time show
I can't help but think that there are better options than Madonna as the halftime entertainer for next year's Superbowl.  Don't get me wrong, I think she's super talented and one of the top female artists of our time.. but for Superbowl?  Does she still have the stage presence to entertain the millions watching?  I have always found Madonna the most entertaining when she was doing some controversial.  But given the NFL's goal to stay away from that, what can Madonna really bring to the stage?  She hasn't put out an album since 2008.  Is she still relevant?

I personally hated the Black Eyed Peas last year as the halftime show.  They were easily tops in popularity at the time, but I thought their style of music did not work for the audience.  They're a dance group that requires synthesizers and computerized vocals and sound.. the LIVE aspect of their performance sucked.   

Some relevant (not to mention popular) bands that I think would make a more entertaining performance, in no particular order:
  • Green Day
  • Bon Jovi
  • AC/DC
Not coincidentally these are all rock/alternative bands, in my humble opinion the most ideal type of music in a live setting.

No comments: