November 25, 2002

It was my first day at work today. I got up at 7am, (and also at 6am, 5am, 4am, etc) to go to work. Got on my best shirt and tie, dress pants and dress shoes. Gel'd up my hair and off I went to take the subway with my dad.

Work was good. Same guys as before when I worked in the summer, so we were already acquainted and right away they had some stuff for me to do. I had congregation a whole bunch of data, figure out what was redundant and form (or get ready to prepare) database schema's for a database that they wanted to me to create. It was good times, reminiscent of the good times at school when we had to figure out various ways to optimize a particular database. Good times indeed. I worked pretty much non-stop from 9:30am til 5pm, when I left. I really enjoyed doing the work. It was nice to get my brain juices flowing again. Now if only I can remember everything i learned in my dbms course..

I found out that my temp position was really a 6-month duration rather than the year that I was expecting, but no matter, a job's a job! :) Perhaps I'll be rejoining the ranks of unemployment in 6 months' time.. Tho this just gives me more motivation to prove to them that they need me for much longer! I report to this guy Mark, i'm the only person working directly for him. And he reports to the director (Gord), so i often end up communicating with the director directly. Plus it helps that his office is just across the hall from my cubicle.

Hmm.. what else. There aren't any young people around, as far as I can tell. So these will be lonely next 6 months.. The IT guy for our floor wasn't in today, so I didn't get a computer account or an email account set up. And the lady in charge of access cards was busy all day so I didn't get my Metro Hall security card either. Well, luckily my dad can get me past security. They often sell Krispy Kreme donuts right by the elevators for charity. I got a taste of one today, as Gord bought two boxes for the whole floor. Actually he also gave me his double cheesburger from McD's. I think there's a deal now, 2 for $3. I guess he couldn't finish both.. Lucky for me, cuz the puny sandwich my mom made me for lunch wasn't nearly enough!

No comments: