January 17, 2007

Brainstorming

My brother told me he was coming home for the weekend yesterday, so I went to Loblaws to buy some juice and dumplings.. cuz that's what we eat. Anyway, I suddenly had a big urge to cook, after looking at all the processed foods in the aisles.

I haven't cooked since I made ribs last year. I've been eating a ton of TV dinners, not so much because I'm lazy, but just because I haven't had the urge to do so. Once I discovered the Parker Lee microwavable dinners, I really got into them.. I tried them all and discovered the curry beef brisket ones are AWESOME. As well, there is a Vietnamese Noddle with Beef Brisket that is just stupendous. $3 for a bowl of it, and it's enough for a meal.. now that is cheap.

Anyway, I just haven't had the urge, or inspiration to cook since the ribs, but today while picking up some red peppers for a tuna sandwich (that's another thing.. I decided to make tuna sandwiches for lunch, maybe try and get in the habit of making sandwiches at least once a week to save money), I had a sudden craving for stuffed peppers. My dad used to make stuffed peppers once in awhile and I remember them being oh-so-good.

I'm sure he used ground beef.. I was thinking of trying it with ground lamb instead, that could produce an interesting aroma.

So here's what I've been thinking about, for ingredients and recipe:

1. Cut out the stem of the pepper, cleaning out the seeds and 'compartments'.
2. Dice onions, garlic, and some other ingredient which I haven't figured out.
3. Cook the ground lamb til brown. Put in a bowl.
4. Sautee the onions, garlic and the mystery ingredient.. add beef before caramelization.

Now comes the tricky part. How do you make the meat stick together without eggs. I was thinking of using milk and possibly bread crumbs, to give it some kind.. umm.. sticky texture. Perhaps rice. I dunno.. I'm gonna have to think about that one.

Anyway, once that's all done, just stuff the peppers and throw it all in the oven...til the pepper is cooked.

Oh.

2a. Chop up some mozarella cheese (btw, I really hate buying cheese. Even the smallest block, which ends up being a rip-off because of the cost:volume ratio.. and I never finish it all and then it goes bad... it's so annoying.), and put sprinkle the cheese on top of the pepper, and let it sit in the oven til it melts. Then serve..

I think that could totally work.. although I'm picturing a very bland tasting stuffed pepper. I guess it all depends on that mystery ingredient. Maybe jalapeno might do it, give it some extra taste.. and I'm sure I'd use some salt and pepper as well.

Yes.. this all sounds good to me.

No comments: