January 20, 2007

Urbana: Update

I thought it might be a good time to update some things from Urbana. It has been difficult.. the adjustment from Urbana to real life. The transition has been seamless, in that Urbana feels like years ago. Obviously this isn't a good thing. I've forgotten a lot of promises I made to God.

In my commitment card, I made it a point that I would share the gospel with a co-worker. That hasn't happened. However, something really neat happened, where an ex-co-worker called me out of the blue and asked if I could set him up with someone that could answer some of his OT-NT questions. I was really excited about this, and I've dialogued with him quite a bit since then and he'll be meeting up with my pastor likely next week to get some questions answered.

Also in my commitment card, I committed to serving in a short term mission this year. Of course that will be Longlac. I need to book my years' vacations next week so it will be officially etched in stone by then.

I've been working on trying to finish my Perspectives project. It's been interesting to say the least. I've had to explore my own imagination on how the people of Longlac can be reached, in a long-term basis. Pretty much the ideas that I had hoped to get out of the Longlac committee that never came together, I am now needing to put on paper. It's also made me realize how little I know of these people. I really need to make it a point to understand them this summer, understand what makes them tick, how they would be brought to worship God, how they would enjoy worshipping, their general thought processes, what they strive for and what they hope to get out of life. All these are important things to learn about them, as part of research on learning the most effective way to evangelize to them.

So that's my update for now. I will try to update from time to time, to keep myself accountable.

No comments: