March 13, 2003

yesterday in our "weekly" (we've done it twice, so i can't exactly call it weekly just yet, though i hope it becomes a tradition) lunch at work, we went for and indian food. it was buffet, i believe it was called tandoori cuisine. one of the guys, habib took us there because we'd originally wanted to go for chinese, but none of knew where any chinese restaurants were, in our area.

the food was really good. i had a lot of curry lamb, and curry goat. i also liked the rice, which though looked weird because it was so colorful, still tasted the same as everyday rice. i also had this bread they have, it's more like a pita.. but it was sweet-ish. the whole meal only cost $8, so that was also a bonus. i felt some discomfort in my stomach throughout the meal, but for the rest of the day i felt fine. habib said the food wasn't really indian food, but thought that's fine, because i probably wouldn't be able to eat the real SPICY stuff.

today, after work the boss took us out for drinks. my boss is a greek guy, but born here so he has absolutely no culture.. kinda like me I guess, except that my parents are here, so i did pick up a little culture. five of us went, john and hovic (my project teammates), my boss peter, and this other guy. i forgot his name, but he's the closest to my age at 27. the other 3 are all in their mid 30s. it's amazing the culture and diversity we have. we have habib, who works up with us, but isn't on our team. he's muslim. then there's hovic who is christian, and john -- i don't know what he is. my boss is greek orthodox, and the younger guy is a sikh. though, it's all a little weird, because as far as i can tell, none of these are really truly practising their religions. for one thing, we went out drinking, and most of the guys technically aren't allowed to drink, but they do. we went to the Peel Pub, which i'd heard of many times but never been to. i ordered an iced tea, and they gave me a GIANT mug. i couldn't believe the size of it, i swear 2 other people could easily have shared it with me!

No comments: