February 24, 2003

goosebumps
The last time I got goosebumps like these was during U2's performance at halftime at last year's superbowl. This time, it was Norah Jones singing live at the Grammy's. I had heard that song Don't Know Why before on the radio, but never really paid much attention. She's good, and I can't say I've ever heard someone with that good a voice in a concert setting. Maybe, Mariah in her Unplugged album, but that is a different style of music altogether. What really got me too, was how she 'plays the ivories'. You know when someone plays the piano, they seem very robotic, whereas people with the talent or the love for music play it like their hands are dancing on the keys. If you've ever seen Victor Borge play you'll know what I mean. I saw a movie with Richard Dreyfus, where he played a pianist. There was a part in the movie where he was practicing a song in his head during a flight to a recital/contest. The music played in his head, while fingering the song, and he would hit a part where he made a mistake, and would go back and play it again! It's like knowing the keyboard is there, knowing the notes and keys, but not even needing the piano. That's pretty cool..

Goosebumps, I got, and worser so, this morning I downloaded a few more of her songs and got much of the same reaction. Goosebumps. So I'm going to head down to HMV at lunch time to finally use the gift certificate I got from Santa. This morning I found out Jones actually won 8 Grammy's.

I didn't make it out to church on Sunday because of the snow. We shovelled it all out of the drive way, but since the roads hadn't been plowed, I made the decision for the family that we should not go because of the unsafe conditions. I really wanted to go though. Over the weekend I had decided that I wanted to attend Missions Fest, and was hoping to purchase tickets from KK. If anyone knows how I can get them now, please email me.

On Friday, we had a study on Servanthood. I had been looking forward to this for a while now, but it wasn't what I was expecting. What we really did was discuss ways of serving and how to serve the community. I thought that G? brought up a good point about how our chinese culture tends to shy away from confrontations or times of being in the spotlight. I think this plays directly into a time of sharing we had at the retreat when A? brought up his concerns of why we (chinese, asians) have our own fellowships and our own churches, and why there is that segregation. It's something that I concerned myself a couple of years ago when I was at The Met, in Ottawa, and found myself sitting alone by myself after everyone had got up to socialize with one another. I observed that there was no culture barriers at all among other people, but yet the group I had come with did not mingle with other people but stuck with their own. It seemed so strange. Anyway what I was really looking for, for the fellowship was more of a discipleship talk.

On Saturday, my mom and I drove out to Oshawa because I booked my G1 Road test out there and it is coming up, so she felt I should drive around that area. Oshawa is pretty nice, but there are absolutely no speed limit signs that I could find. I had no idea if I was driving the limit or not. There was nothing on the main roads, nothing on the residential roads. By city law, it is 50 km/h if the limit is not posted. Hopefully this applies in Oshawa, otherwise I will fail the test.

No comments: