February 18, 2003

I just got to work, just now, 9:46am. I left home at exactly 7:46am. Everything was fine on the subway, til we got to York Mills. The train started moving slower and slower, and when it got to Lawrence, the driver tells us we'll have to get off at Eglinton. Apparently some security alert or something, and there would be no subway service from Eglinton til Union. Btw, I get off at the station just after Union, so this was a serious pain for me. On the subway, I noticed a familiar face, it was Lawrence Lau, from highschool. We were really friends back then, but I just remember him from grade 10 english class. Anyway we got off at Eglinton and it seemed like there were at least 400 people lining up to get on the shuttles that would take people south on Yonge street. They had 2 guys passing out transfers to 400 people, so it took some time. One of the guys passing them out was Alex Ross, another Earl Haig alumni. Again, we weren't really friends but I remember him campaigning for student council. In fact, it was his voice which first reminded me of him, then I saw his police badge and name. After I picked up my transfer, I headed upstairs to the outdoors --- Thank God the weather was only -6C today!! So we all piled out of the building into the intersection at Eglinton/Yonge, when I spotted yet another familiar face.

Rev. John Kao. I tapped him on the shoulder and we talked, he was going to the hospital to visit someone. I spoke to him in mandarin, and some other guy (whom neither of us knew) started speaking to us, also in mandarin. Rev. Kao really surprised me. He walked right onto the road and tapped on the window of a car to ask them to give us a ride. Unfortunately, this guy was willing but he his destination was Yonge/Eglinton. Rev. Kao proceeded to walk along the street, pretty much in the middle of the right lane, looking into cars, cabs, and buses. I really marvelled at his courage of just going out to investigate and find a way to get to his destination. At his age too. Meanwhile I stood on the sidewalk and just watched him like an idiot.

After awhile he came back and said to me that most of the cars on the street probably wouldn't take us downtown because those people heading there probably would have taken the highway, not Yonge. So we both headed back to the station, where we saw people finally getting into the "shuttles". We lined up for these buses, and after 2 of them left fully loaded, someone yelled out "they're back up!" referring to the subways. So we all filed down the escalator back into the station. As we fought our way through the droves of people, I recognized Mrs. Lam, also of Haig fame -- she substituted for a few of my math classes there. Also with Mrs. Lam was another girl also from my school, at least I think she was. She was familiar, but I don't remember her name. I could probably check my yearbook..

As we stood at the platform, Rev. Kao turned to me and said he forgot my lastname. I had to explain to him who my father was, and that was when he finally remembered who I was. "Brian?" he said, the first word of english he had said to me all day. "Yes" I replied. Then he asked me about my father, and how I was.

It's funny though, because I knew at first he didn't really recognize me, but he still had the courtesy of talking to me. Sometimes it's an awkward situation whenever you run into someone you can't quite remember. I guess the best thing to do is just talk to them, and ask their names afterwards to avoid that awkwardness. These days you could probably ask their email to figure out their names!

No comments: