February 20, 2003

Today for the first time in nearly a month (or more), I woke up and the weather guy on the radio said it was over 0 degrees outside. Wow. Sunlight? Snow melting? Amazing!

I sort of do miss school, having talked to a few people about whether I miss school or not. I liked waking up at 8 in the morning and rushing out the door with my housemates to get to class. Or better yet, not waking up at all, and letting the 'designated note-taker' go to class for the rest of us. I liked sitting in the living room watching tv at lunch time with friends, joking about class and professors, making fun of eachother. I miss the occasional nights we would stay up late discussing world issues, getting married, our futures. I miss michelina's at 4 in the morning when we finally finished a project due in 5 hours. I miss writing super-small for formula sheets and copying as much of my course notes to a 8/5'x11' (both sides) as possible --- only to find that 90% of the exam covers the one thing I didn't copy down.

I miss going to fellowship and finding that everyone there was 3-4 years younger than me. Imagine, being 23 and being considered 'the old guy'! And despite my complaints, I really do miss those lousy burgers -- at least they contained real meat! I miss watching friends nod off to sleep, literally seconds after a lecture starts. I miss seeing peoples' heads bobbing up and down (fighting to stay awake) in class. I miss the times when a prof would ask us all a question, and discover that no one in the class has any idea what he had been lecturing about. I miss the wonders of bell-curves. I miss that feeling you get when you thought you just failed an exam, and everyone else comes out thinking it was a joke. Better yet, I miss that feeling when you think you aced an exam, and everyone else thought it was brutal. Or even better yet, when someone asks you what you got for the last question on page 3, and you say "there were 3 pages?". I miss clearing my throat at thode and getting dirty looks because i was making too much noise.

I miss visiting home every couple months and being treated like a king, or the prodigal son. I miss having last night's pizza for breakfast the next morning. I miss pizza. I miss getting to say "i'm a student, i'm too poor to leave a tip". I miss huddling at the bus stop outside our house with my housemates and watching helplessly as the bus drove right past us (we lived one stop away from the school). I miss that feeling when you thought the midterm was next week, not today. I miss the late study sessions before exams where we basically learned more about the course in 4 hours than we had all year.

Good times..

No comments: