January 12, 2003

I was asked to do some sharing this past friday for my small group. I actually ended up turning down this invitation because I just didn't feel like it. I don't know what it is with me and sharing but I just don't like it, or the idea of it. Even when someone else is sharing, it's interesting to hear and all, and it's a reminder for me to pray for that person, but rarely has it been an inspiration or insight for me. Maybe i'm just ultra-insensitive or maybe just so apathetic that i just don't care for it. Or maybe I'm just not listening to the right things. I dunno.

Anyway, I ended up not even going to fellowship this week because one of my old housemate/classmates was in town and had organized a dinner with other classmates so I went to that instead. He's in consulting so he travels a lot and we rarely get a chance to sit down together and chat. So we hooked up at Milestones at Yorkdale mall. Friday nights are crazy busy there and even though we got there at 7:15 to get on the waiting list, we didn't actually sit down and order until after 9pm! Well, the food was good and all. I had to treat one of the guys there as we had a pact that whoever found a job first had to buy the other a dinner. He recently found a job as well though, so praise God for that. In fact, praise God that everyone who came that night are employed now. I think just over half of my graduating SE class are employed now!

Something I did notice about the dinner was the conversation. Well aside from the fact that these guys cuss and drink a lot, I just found that the conversation never really got very serious. It was like old times again, like we were back in school and all we did was crack jokes and laugh at eachother because no one wanted to talk about anything serious. We were in engineering, and it was rough.. We went out because we needed a high or a raiser to remind us life could still be fun. But now, we were all adults, with full time jobs, but it was still the same thing. Ah well, I guess it's a lot to ask to have a decent conversation in larger groups. I think I'm more of a one-on-one type of person, or one-on-two, but once it gets to more than that, I can't handle it anymore.

No comments: