July 30, 2003

Seabiscuit

I ended up at the movie after all. Kev called me from the base of my building at about 9:15, and I decided to just forget about waiting for this fish tank guy to call. The way I figure, he already paid for it, so he's gonna call me again to get his purchase.... eventually.

The movie was really good. I had seen "the making of.." of the movie on ESPN, and it looked pretty impressive. They said it was first time they ever had footage so up close and personal to a horse race. I think it would've been better at a better theatre, but the story itself was very inspiring. Set in times of the great depression, a bunch of hard-luck guys get together by chance and put together one of the improbable horse racing success stories ever.

But.. I dunno if it was the theatre, or the direction, but I didn't quite feel the attachment that I think the director was hoping for. It felt great (umm.. no spoilers) when great things happened in the movie, but.. it wasn't.. I don't think the director did a good enough job to draw me into the characters.

Well, let me put it this way.. the great parts of the story didn't bring a tear to my eye.

Maybe I expected too much out of this one, since people were already saying this movie would get nominated, but I still give it an 8/10 but I don't think they should get best direction or best film. Maybe.. Best Screenplay and Best Supporting Actor?

No comments: