May 16, 2004

Rev. Stephen Yao

The funeral was fine. When I was there and sat down the first thing that I thought of (80% of the thing was in Cantonese, so I had a lot of time to think) was the Barenaked Ladies song "One Week", At that point I chuckled, not out loud.

How can I help it if I think you're funny when you're mad?
Trying hard not to smile though I feel bad
I'm the kind of guy who laughs at a funeral
Can't understand what I mean?
Well, you soon will
...


They say that when you die, your life flashes before you. At a funeral, that person's life flashes before you while you reflect on their passing. I remember sitting there thinking how lucky Rev. Yao was compared to me at that moment.. I smiled as I thought: 'He's up there now, and I'm still down here. He's up there with God. That's pretty sweet..'

Reverend Yao was a great guy, I remember all the times he would come over to me to ask how I was doing, even though I couldn't always understand everything he said to me, there was this genuine feeling I got that he really cared about how I was doing, how my brother was, and my family. One thing someone pointed out was that he knew everyone's names. He was a very loving man, very caring and genuine.

Reverend Yao liked to sing and he particularly enjoyed hymns. And he knew the bible inside and out. You know how some older chinese folk constantly quote 'idioms' throughout various daily activities? Rev. Yao would quote scripture constantly, he could apply anything in life to a verse. He was always offering insightful advice, no matter what the situation.

I remember the first day when he joined Milliken. We had a gathering at the old T3C building and he arrived after all the other guests. I remember he didn't look chinese to me, but he was a very friendly guy. Mrs. Yao was a very cheerful person, also very loving (and still is). I think he knew my name from that day forward.. I must've been like 7 years old. Wow, I can't believe I still remember that. I even remember playing on the playground that day. T3C (now TMCCC) had a great playground..

A lot of people broke down when they spoke about how Rev. Yao loved them and cared for them. It was during those times that I remembered how he impacted me and my family. It kind of hit me then that I knew him for so long and had forgotten how close he was to our family because we had switched churches.

Wow, now I'm depressed. It's good to reflect on these things. So why am I still up at 1 in the morning knowing that I have to be at church early for choir rehearsal? Because I just woke up from a nap. I slept from 7:23 til 12:34. The only reason I'm up is because of a wrong number call. The strange thing is he asked for "Brian", and I said "yes?", then he asked for "Judy" and I was like "huh?". That's weird.

Anyway it just makes me realize that there are so many important people in my life that I take for granted. People who God obviously placed in my life for a great reason but I fail to realize it until it's too late.

If I haven't said it to you (and I know that to most of you I haven't), but I love you all. Thank you for being a part of my life. Thanks for the rough times, for the lessons you have taught me, the funny moments we've been through.

You're in a better place, I've heard a thousand times
And at least a thousand times I've rejoiced for you
But the reason why I'm broken, the reason why I cry
Is how long must I wait to be with you

I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now

Help me Lord cause I don't understand your ways
The reason why I wonder if I'll ever know
But, even if you showed me, the hurt would be the same
Cause I'm still here so far away from home

In Christ, there are no goodbyes
And in Christ, there is no end
So I'll hold onto Jesus with all that I have
To see you again

No comments: