April 12, 2006

Fanboy

I have become a major fanboy of two things. The first is the Toronto Raptors. I am in love with this team even though they suck badly. I follow them avidly despite their complete and total utter crappiness and hopelessness.

The second is the Nintendo Revolution. I week ago I posted about the need for consoles to have "must-have" games, in which the game is so great that it convinces people to buy the system. Microsoft's XBox 360 is a fantastic example, of a console that has superior technology built into it, but does not have a game to make people think "OH MY GOODNESS!! I want an XBOX 360 so I can play ______________".

From what I've been reading, Nintendo will have 20 titles at launch, meaning there will be 20 titles available when the console is comes out on sale. Haha.. that's more than I can say for the Gamecube, which doesn't even have 20 titles worth playing.

So far, the game that has been officially announced as one of the 20 -- looks spectacular. The game is called "Red Steel", and is being made exclusively for the Nintendo Revolution.

Brought to you by Ubisoft (Far Cry, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon), Red Steel makes use of Revolution's new controller -- the remote control that senses gestures and movements made by the controller. Meaning, you swing the contoller one way, and the guy you control swings his sword the same way. You point at a particular badguy on the screen and press the shoot button, he convulses and dies.

Taking advantage of the special controller and the fact that it will only be available on Revolution -- to me that's a "must-have" game. No more having to point my crosshairs with a joystick using my thumb -- this game gives new meaning to point-and-shoot.

No comments: