April 28, 2006

Wii will Wii will.. rock you

Nintendo has finally released the name of the next console. Previously codenamed "Revolution", Nintendo yesterday decided that the actual name of the console would be "Wii" (pronounced "we").

It's a cool play on words I suppose, but to be honest I liked "Revolution" a lot better. The whole idea of the Nintendo Wii surrounds the idea of a revolution, since they have supposedly revolutionized the world of gaming with their remote controller. Early promotional videos for Wii demonstrated its use by showing people aiming it like a gun, swinging it like a sword, and moving it as if to chop and fry vegetables. Also, Nintendo has decided to stay away from the hardware war that Sony and Microsoft have waged their battle in. Wii is only as powerful as Microsoft's original XBox.

Wii will be backwards compatible, meaning I'll be able to play all my old gamecube games on it. This is a major change from the previous Nintendo consoles as they changed the media for their games from generation to generation.

There are already a growing list of games that I want to have when I buy my Wii:
1. Red Steel
2. Super Smash Bros. Wii
3. Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz
4. Mario Kart Wii

No comments: