March 13, 2004

what's your list?

Today all day at work I contemplated whether or not I should go to Missionfest, because I'm already going Saturday and Sunday as a volunteer. But in the end, I did go after all. I'd say that I've never really felt the burden of going overseas, so missions has never really been a thing for me. I've always said that if I feel like I'm being called, I'll go, no questions asked. I've always felt that my workplace is my mission field, or my school friends. Anyway, if I were to go on a missions trip, I think I would want to go to a Muslim country. All my friends in school and at work, are either Christian or Muslim. I think it'd be most interesting to visit a Muslim country, learn about their culture and religion, and show them the Good News.

I ended up spending a good amount of time talking to the MSI rep, (not anita) and getting a good idea of the kind of stuff they do in China. I hafta say, it did peak my interest. It's great work they're doing there, and it also fit my ideal mission trip --- not so much going there to preach, but just going out there to help people who are in need.

Before that though, I sat in on David Yonggi Cho's talk. It was a very powerful message, and I can see how his church grew so quickly. He speaks with a lot of conviction, there is like an urgency, he really wants everyone to embrace the Lamb of God. I saw no evidence of him having any questionable teachings. The only thing that raised an eyebrow was at the end when he led us through a healing prayer, and then afterwards had people come up who had been miraculously healed. I had a discussion about this afterwards with gladys and anita. This was the first healing I'd ever seen and I was very skeptical about the whole thing.

But Jesus and his disciples healed many people. Through the power of faith, healing *is* possible. Cho spoke about how faith is a choice --if you choose faith, then you are saved. Similarly, if you choose to believe you can be healed, you will be healed. It is then that I realized that my faith isn't nearly as strong as I thought it was. I have a weak faith. No matter how I look at it, I am still skeptical of the healings. And I shouldn't be, because with God, All Things Are Possible. And yet, there I was, doubting all of the healings. Even after saying "All Things Are Possible", I still have lingering doubts about the healings!

After Missionfest I went with anita to meet up with Ina for bbt. It was --- awkward --- to say the least. It was me and 5 girls. Gladys, Ina, Carrie, Janey and Anita. I think I've met Janey once before. Anyway, believe it or not they actually talked about hockey (Bertuzzi) for about 10 minutes. But the rest was girl talk. Someone was making some kind of shopping list, I didn't catch any of the details but it was some sort of a checklist/criteria for the ideal man. And then of course so that I didn't feel left out, Ina asks me "What your list?".

What is my list? I think every guy has a list, and the list gets thrown out the window when he meets his future wife. My only "criteria" is a Godly woman. And I don't mean just a woman who believes, I mean someone who has truly devoted her entire life (in it's entirety) to pleasing God. There's a difference! After that, the list is full of "nice to have"s. And no, I won't list any of them, because someday, someone will remember them and bring them up at my wedding, and I will be embarassed in front of all my friends. :Þ

No comments: