September 02, 2004

The Apprentice

Anita emailed me this morning to tell me that a few of The Apprentice 1 hopefuls were downstairs in the courtyard filming something, so looked down and sure enough, they were doing something down there.

Turns out they are/were filming for a show called "The Surreal Gourmet", a cooking show. Also turns out that my boss (the one that just got back), knows the person who does all the cooking on that show. I'll be down there checking out the set (and hopefully the Apprentice people (Nick, Kwame, Amy)) in a few moments.

Anyway, I had this idea, this funny vision of what The Judgement might be like. Like a tv show just like The Apprentice. With Jesus and his angels sitting around the boardroom table, and me on the other side. They'd review all the terrible things I did in my life, and of course I'd try to argue (yeah right, argue with God?) my case.

Then Jesus would say "Okay, you've done these things, terrible things, in your life. But do you love me?"

"Yes. I love you Jesus."

And then, with the same hand motion gesture as Trump, He'd wave His hand and say:

"You're SAVED!"


Haha..

flawed

The league I'm drafting for tonight is a league comprised of Andrew's friends. It's different because it includes individual defensive players, which is totally new to me. This morning I learned for the first time where these guys stand on the field.. hehe.

Anyway, I just find it frustrating, as a person who likes to be prepared for a draft, that they've decided to pick the draft order 30 minutes prior to the draft. That gives me exactly 30 minutes to prepare for the draft. That's crazy.. The only way to avoid this is if I were to mock draft the entire 18 rounds for every draft position. That'd be insane though, it would take literally a week (assuming I took a week off work) to prepare for.

The other thing I find flawed in the league design is the number of rounds they are drafting. 18 rounds, which means 18 total players. First of all if you don't know, every NFL team has a bye week -- a week in which they don't play -- which means you need a backup for that one week. But the starting lineup is 13 players. This means you have a bench size of 5 players -- so you can't even get a backup for every position. I believe the reasoning for having individual defensive players is to get a complete overall feel of owning an NFL team. That said, every NFL team has depth charts going back 3 spots. Most teams carry a 3rd QB, if not 4. This league will allow 1 backup QB at most. Then perhaps a backup for RB, WR -- and then what?

2 bench positions for TE, PK, DB, DL. Two more round would cover each position with 1 backup. I've read that a lot of IDP leagues have 30 rounds, so 20 shouldn't be too much!

No comments: