September 09, 2004

del doca...bel boca... del boca vista!

Why would anyone live in Florida? All I've heard for the past 2 months is about hurricanes ripping through. So you've got earthquakes in California, hurricanes in Florida. Vacation anyone?

grandfather

Probably should have mentioned this weeks ago, but my grandfather had another stroke about a month ago. He's got a brain hemorrhage. Prayer would be great.

football

Starts tonight.

tv is back

I can't think of a worse torture than watching Blue Jays baseball on TV. Maybe going to the games would be worse.. but, I'm glad to say that TV is back. It all starts tonight, with Joey (a show that I think will last 4-5 episodes) and then Apprentice 2!

back

I've got back problems, lower back specifically. I can't figure it out, all day today my back has been hurting, and yesterday while playing 007 I had more problems. But I was perfectly fine on my computer chair.

Also what's become a problem for me has been just soreness, all over, from the tennis on Monday. But that's just soreness from sudden prolonged exercise. My back.. that could be chronic thing.

I've always had knee problems and back problems from my childhood days working hard labor for my dad.

anna

There's something funny going on with the world of tennis, when it comes to the discussion of Anna Kournikova. Everyone makes a big deal out of the fact that Anna has never won anything despite her massive following. Believe it or not, 95% of professional tennis players have never won anything. The fact is, is that individual professional sports is not as lucrative as you might think. Your income depends on your own actions.

Kournikova is just an average tennis player, much like 95% of the other players who go from tournament to tournament hoping for an easy draw or an upset that'll net them some extra money. Most of these players keep going -- because they have nothing to fall back on. My brother had a childhood friend who was one of the top ranked Canadians in tennis in his age group (under 13). His parents invested all of their money and time in his training -- it was basically "tennis or bust". His schooling suffered, and he gave up swimming (another accolade of his). Then he broke his knee.

There are people who praise a player like Maria Sharapova by saying things like "she's good looking, AND she's actually good, unlike (Kournikova)". So what if she's good looking? This has nothing to do with tennis.

So what's my point? Why do people criticize and make fun of Kournikova? Obviously it has nothing to do with tennis. Maybe it's because she's so successful that people are jealous. Looking at someone who completely failed in her profession but still manages to be successful must be pretty discouraging for some people. It's sad really.

No comments: