September 30, 2004

you're fired!

Much to my chagrin, when I got home today I found out I'd been fired from being jasy's best friend, probably cuz I didn't answer her messages, but that's only cuz ...

Lucia di Lammermoor

I went to see an opera tonight with Alfred. It's my first "opera", not counting the "musicals" I've seen like Phantom, Les Mis, Lion King and Producers. Yes, I am taking a crack at being 'cultured' or 'artsy fartsy'. I've always pictured a big fat lady wearing a viking costume, but it wasn't like that all.

With zero expectations, and not having an idea what the opera was about, I came out somewhat satisfied. It was a lot like a rendition of Shakespeare's R&J. The story was interesting, but some of the solo's went too long and I fell asleep. What I most enjoyed about it was the choruses, when large groups sung together it sounded really good!

The whole thing was in italian, and they and surtitles (translated lyrics projected on the top curtain). But they didn't always put up the surtitles, and those were the points that I'd get bored and fall asleep.

Actually the main vocalist was a heavy-set woman.. she played Lucia. But it was well over after she sang.. so it's not totally true about that whole "fat lady sings" thing.

akt

Nice try, btw. :D

No comments: