February 16, 2005

Oscars, cont'd

I've seen a bunch of movies. Originally I thought I would put down a review for each of them and critique the acting and my analysis of everything. But it's too much. I've seen countless movies and I can't go back and do individual analysis' of each of them like I did with Collateral.

Our goal (mine and Kenric's) was to watch all the movies or actors/actresses nominated for an Oscar. This includes best pictures, best directors, actors and actresses and best supporting actor/actresses. Here's my rankings so far, and "x" denotes movies/performances I haven't seen yet.

Best Picture
1. Million Dollar Baby
2. Finding Neverland
3. Ray
x. Sideways
x. The Aviator

Best Director
1. Million Dollar Baby
2. Ray
x. The Aviator
x. Sideways
x. Vera Drake

Best Actor in a Leading Role
1. Jamie Foxx (Ray)
2. Johnny Depp (Finding Neverland)
3. Clint Eastwood (Million Dollar Baby)
x. Leonardo DiCaprio (The Aviator)
x. Don Cheadle (Hotel Rwanda)

Best Actress in a Leading Role
1. Hilary Swank (Million Dollar Baby)
2. Kate Winslet (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind)
x. Imelda Staunton (Vera Drake)
x. Catalina Sandino Morena (Maria Full Of Grace)
x. Annett Bening (Being Julia)

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
1. Clive Owen (Closer)
2. Jamie Foxx (Collateral)
3. Morgan Freeman (Million Dollar Baby)
4. Thomas Haden Church (Sideways)
5. Alan Alda (The Aviator)

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
1. Natalie Portman (Closer)
x. Cate Blanchett (The Aviator)
x. Laura Linney (Kinsey)
x. Virginia Madsen (Sideways)
x. Sophie Okonedo (Hotel Rwanda)

Admittedly, we will probably never see movies like Vera Drake, Maria Full of Grace, Being Julia or Kinsey. If I was a betting man I'd say it won't matter.. Hilary Swank is most likely a lock to win best actress. The Aviator was the highest nominated movie of all (11 total nominations) and we still haven't seen it yet. That one will clear up 5 of my ranks. I still need to see Hotel Rwanda too.

I like movies with a point, and preferably movies that teach you something good or something profound. For movie sites I like to read Focus On The Family's reviews. It's not what you expect though. It's not just the pro's and con's of a movie from a Christian perspective. It also has some in-depth character analysis , which I find useful in determining whether or not the film is worth watching. They have a similar perspective towards movies that I have.

doodie: don't read this if you're eating

If you're still reading, then I'll reward you with a comical story. Yesterday I was in several meetings spread over the day. I literally had no time to spare in between. I grabbed lunch in between and scarfed it down in about 10 minutes, then went to another meeting. Anyway, after lunch I had to go. My kids wanted to go to the pool but I didn't have time to drop them off. There were like 500 items we had to go over for the meeting so about halfway I took charge and started rushing through them. "NEXT!" "NEXT!" "OKAY! #341. NEXT!" I was rushing through it because I had to go so badly.

Finally, it was over and I rushed back to my desk to complete the work I had to get finished before everyone went home for the day, so I did that. Finally, after 4 hours of holding off I ran over to the bathroom and... as luck would have it, both stalls were occupied. It's funny that for some reason I had this feeling that they'd be full, because the last time I ever needed to go this badly, the exact same thing happened.

Anyway I ran to the elevator and took it one floor down. Got to 26th and.. *damn* I didn't have access to this floor. Paced around between elevators (by now one of the kids had stuck his head out the window. 'Not yet son.. get back inside."). Finally got on and took it down to the 20th, stumbled my way over to the bathroom and aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh....

No comments: