February 17, 2005

when things work out

Isn't it great when things just work out? Today, things are going to finally work out for me. My mom's been bugging me about picking up a passport application form. I went down to the Staples downstairs to get it from the post office they have inside, but they'd run out. I have nothing left in the fridge for dinner. Yesterday the Raptors lost but scored enough that I can get a free slice of pizza from Pizza Pizza. But, there aren't any Pizza Pizza's near my home.

Yesterday I got a notice in the mail for me to go to the post office to pick up a package. I think it's the two Tim Hughes cd's I ordered, though I could be wrong. Maybe it's a bomb or anthrax or something. [ebrian shrugs]

So this is how it all fits together. It's the only post office near my place aside from the one in the Staples. With my mom flying in on Friday, I had to get the application ASAP. I have to go there anyway now because of the package. And to top it off, the nearest Pizza Pizza is right across the street from ... you guessed it —- the Post Office!

Perfection..! At last.

moving

This is probably too short notice for everyone, but... I'm moving away.

I've thought long and hard about this and I've decided that I'm going to move away from this place. The condo, the cushy job, fast-paced city life. I've even alluded it to some close friends but no one really took much notice. Toronto, it's been great living here for the last 25 years. But it's time to move on. My bags are packed (it's not like I had a whole to begin with) and the moving company has been booked. I will be gone in less than 2 days.

To the people who will miss me or who's lives will be adversely affected by my absence: I do apologize but this has been a long time coming.

Why the short notice. (Notice how I put this post as a sub-post to another) I dunno, in all honesty I wanted to give zero notice. I wanted to disappear like Matt Damon did in Good Will Hunting. You know what I mean -- when Ben Affleck comes over to pick him up as they do every day, and he finds that Matt has moved out without so much as a goodbye, and Ben just smiles to himself and while he's sad his friend is gone, he's happy that his pal has finally moved on with his life.

That's how I'd like to think of it.

Destination? I've given this the most thought. Moving away is one thing, but where to, that's the tricky part. The easiest thing would have been to move down to the US to live with my family, or out to the West Coast at least so I would be closer to them. But that would be too easy. I wanted to move somewhere that I'd have to learn a new language in order to communicate with the locals. Sometimes it's nice to be where "everybody knows your name", but I think I enjoy the solitude of being in a place where no one knows me. It'll be great. That's why I've decide to live on the moon.

As Frank Sinatra once said: Fly me to the moon, and let me sing among the stars. Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars.

Farewell!

2 comments:

Karyn Lyndon said...

there is no language on the moon...even an old one...or locals for that matter

ebrian said...

Are you sure about that? Have you even been there before?