December 25, 2002

Dirrty
Having seen it happen before to Mariah Carey, I was pretty disappointed when I heard about Christina Aguilera's new Dirrty video. Seeing great talent being put to shame and wasted because of peer pressure and hip-hop culture really sucks, especially when nowadays there is so little real singing talent left. To say the least, I was not only disappointed in Aguilera's new video, but on top of that reading about her 'turnaround' in various magazines disappointed me even further.

I was a very big fan of Mariah and felt betrayed when she turned the hip-hop culture, turning her string of albums that produced hit after hit into pure trash. Mariah's latest album has a bit more of her older style which gives me a glimmer of hope that she might finally be 'growing up'. All that said, aside from the song Dirrty, Christina's album is actually quite good. All you CA fans out there, don't be discouraged by her one 'bad' song. Although she's made a drastic change in her public image, the talent is still in there somewhere! This album shows a total transformation in Aguilera, who was just considered one of the few actually talented singers in the teeny-bopper market. Now she mixes in rock, jazz, hip-hop.. these tracks are pretty good and contain a much more 'grown-up' style of music. There's everything here.. inspirational ballads, female power, failed relationships, anger, personal battles.

I must say I was totally throw off by all the hooplah surrounding the Dirrty video, but this album has definitely been a great surprise for me and I am glad to say I'm still a fan of her talents!

No comments: