December 03, 2002

On a more serious note..
This blog, is like a diary of sorts. I don't think much about what I say, and I almost never hit the backspace key unless I've made a typo, and with typo I am referring to spelling errors or grammatical errors. Someone mentioned in my small group this past week that they keep a diary and that helps them to remember their prayer items, not to mention helping them to keep their thought clear at what needs to be prayed for. One of the things I remember most that was said during our bible study on prayer was how whenever we pray, our minds begin to wander, and in a lot of cases we start thinking about other things and forget we are even in prayer. I get angry and frustrated whenever this happens, I feel like slapping myself around, to force me to concentrate. For this reason, I sometimes like to pray aloud. It keeps me awake and keeps my mind focused on what I am saying to Him.

But in the bible study, we learned that usually these thoughts that are coming up probably are what we should be praying about. That, because our subconscious keeps bringing up these thoughts, they must be things we are deeply concerned about, and thus they should be addressed in our prayers. So really then, a diary isn't needed, because you don't have to organise your subconscious thoughts, in fact you probably can't. My advice is to sit there (or stand, whatever) close your eyes and try to clear your mind. I've found whenever someone tells me to try to clear my mind, I end up thinking of even more than if someone had told me just to close my eyes and do nothing. For every thought that comes up, pray about them. Don't even think about things that need to be prayed for, just think about anything. I believe that this activity will allow you to share with God everything that is on your mind. And what does it say in the bible, to open your hearts and give everything to Him?

No comments: