December 03, 2002

Hmm.. I don't get this page anymore when i do a search on my name on google. :(

On a brighter note, I've really reduced my television time lately. As some may recall I had a pretty substantial daily listing of television shows that I just needed to watch. Well, it's definitely reduced drastically, although it might also be because of the Raptors and Leafs games..

Sundays
5pm: 7th Heaven, CTV
8pm: Simpsons, Global
9pm: Malcolm in the Middle, Global
9.5pm: Andy Richter, Fox
10pm: The Practice, CH

Mondays
8pm: Boston Public, Global

Tuesdays
8pm: Smallville, CityTV
9pm: Frasier, Global
9.5pm: Hidden Hills, Global

Wednesdays
8pm: Enterprise, CityTV
9pm: Fastlane, FOX

Thursdays
7.5pm: Friends, Global
8pm: Survivor, Global
9.5pm: Good Morning Miami, Global

Fridays
9pm: John Doe, FOX (i tape it, because of fellowship)

Saturdays
11am: Justice League, YTV

See, that's all, not a lot, and I only really catch the ones that are underlined, the rest are only if I have nothing else to do at all. This includes computer games, going out with friends, practicing guitar.

I think it's a popular belief that too much television is not healthy. I'd have to disagree. Anything else can lead to physical or mental anguish.

Sure, being social can lead to great friendships and friends. But it can also lead to airborne virii, like catching someone's flu or cold. Or, you could be hurt by something someone says to you. With TV, it can also be emotional, but since it's all fake anyway, it doesn't last. It's important to keep in mind that one should never start believing that TV is real. It's entertainment, nothing else. TV is indoors, so unless you watch it with people who are sick, you will likely never get sick. Oh, going out with friends also costs money. Since TV is already paid for, it's a lot cheaper. Besides, you could easily spend the monthly $40 cable charge in less than 2 weeks if you go out enough times with your friends. Only one drawback I can think of, something that TV cannot provide that going out with friends, is the possibility of meeting your future spouse. So with that, TV wins, 3-1.

Practicing guitar also wins out, I believe in that one and same category. The guitar is most certainly a 'social' musical instrument. Pull out your 6-string and start playing, and I can guarantee you, unless you are in a completely secluded place, people will come to you and either listen to you, give you money, or sing along. Being able to play a guitar may (or may not) lead you to your future spouse. But a TV can absolutely not.* Guitar playing leads to callouses on your fingers, which are not only painful to acquire, but even after that, it takes a long time before your callouses actually blend in to the rest of your fingers. Until then, they're very grotesque, they look as if you chew your fingers.

Now I know some smart-arse will say "But Brian, what about reading the Bible, or prayer? Surely those things are better than TV." Well, I can't argue with that. There is nothing more noble or righteous than reading the Bible or praying. I can't argue because it would go against everything I stand for. So how can I respond? Well I say to you now, I can do those things during commercials.

*Unless you've subscribed to one of those video dating services..

No comments: