December 11, 2002

Scotia
I do my banking, not by choice, with Scotiabank. The reason being, I had been with National Trust, but they were swallowed up by Scotia several years ago. NT was really good, they were pretty small, so they had very friendly people working there, and they had very competitive rates. I guess out of laziness I have stuck with Scotia.

One time I wanted to check with my branch to see my history because I think Mitel may have given me an extra paycheque by accident. So I went to the branch to get my transaction history.

Scotia: Can I help you?
Me: Yes, I'd like to check my transaction history from 7 months ago.
Scotia: Is it in your bankbook?
Me: No, if it was in my bankbook, I wouldn't be here asking for it now would I. I'd like to look at my account 7 months ago, because I think I might have been paid more than I should have.
Scotia: That's not so bad is it?
Me: No, but I need to check it so that I can report it in my income tax.
Scotia: Okay, I'll check it.
(1 minute passes)
Scotia: I'm sorry, I can't find it. I don't think it's in our computers.
Me: Don't banks keep years of history in their databases?
Scotia: I'm not sure, but it's on the computers, I don't think we keep anything that far back.
Me: It's only 7 months. I thought you guys kept transaction histories for 5-6 years.
Scotia: Well it's not on the computer so I guess not.

Right. A bank that doesn't keep data past 6 months? Another time, I was just depositing some money.

Scotia: You should think about transferring your money to another account, for better interest.
Me: Really?
Scotia: Yeah, right now your account is very low interest rates.
Me: Oh..
Scotia: Yeah, we have higher interest account that gives up to 2.5% interest, you should think about putting some money there.
Me: Really, why, that's almost as much as what ING is giving me!
Scotia: Sorry?
Me: Nothing.
Scotia: Well here's a pamphlet on our different accounts. You should really consider them, because you're getting close to nothing with your current account.
Me: Okay thanks.

I want to apply for a Visa so that I can start building a credit rating. In Ottawa, I argued back and forth to a Scotia representative about the merits of declining someone with no credit for a credit card. How do you build credit without credit, right? At the time I was especially frustrated because I went through TD's website and they approved my application immediately.

How can a bank that has none of my banking history accept my application, and then a bank that has 8 years of my banking history not accept me? (Keeping in mind i have never had less than $3k in my account at Scotia/NT). Does that make any sense at all??

Well, I never did keep the TD card, because I want to have my credit card the same as my banking, I think it's more convenient right?

This Monday I called Scotia again. I figured, now that I'm a full-time (not just an intern), since I own property (a condo), and have other investments*, that has to lend some kind of credibility to my application. Again, they tell me with no credit rating I cannot be approved.

*Sidenote: Nortel rocks! GOoooo.. nortel!

Scotia: Sorry, with no credit history we cannot grant you a credit card.
Me: How can gain some credit history if I don't first get a credit card?
Scotia: Sorry it's Scotia policy, we base our approvals solely on your credit history.
Me: Well, TD bank approved me, and they don't even have any history on me.
Scotia: So do you have credit then?
Me: No, I figured if TD could give me one, then surely you would be able to give me one. I have been banking with you for 8 years, shouldn't it be enough to just check my banking history?
Scotia: Well it's policy.
Me: Okay so what are my options then?
Scotia: You could go to the branch and talk to a representative there.
Me: No I can't do that, because I work from 9-5, and it closes at 5pm, and it is CLOSED on weekends too. How can I go talk to them if they're closed whenever I have time to see them? Can I call them?
Scotia: No for security reasons you can't apply for credit over the phone.
Me: What options do I have then?
Scotia: You can apply online..
Me: Will I be approved then, or will it still check my credit history?
Scotia: No, you will still be declined.
Me: So then that's not a very good option for me now, is it?!
Scotia: Well maybe you can call your branch.
Me: But I still can't go in anyway since they are closed by the time I get off work.
Me: My best option then is to transfer my money to better bank that has normal hours and will approve me without having credit history right?
Scotia: Well maybe you can arrange a meeting with your branch. Maybe you can arrange with them over the phone and meet with them later.

At this point I was thinking that this guy was just doing his job, so I let it go. You know the funny thing is I'm still stuck with Scotia, because I can't even find the time to go and close my account, unless I take an afternoon off. What a dumb institution. Mark my words.. stay away from Scotia bank.

No comments: