December 30, 2002

Well, the NFL playoffs are all set. I have to admit I didn’t think the Jets had it in them to make such a huge turnaround this season plus eke their way into the playoffs. I remember when Herman Edwards went nuts on TV about winning and losing. Since then, his team has never really looked back, and has clawed their way to a respectable record and a shot at the Superbowl. I think the Packers have a real good shot this season. The only tough match-up will be playing the Bucs in Tampa. Other than that I see no reason why they can’t win it all. Hopefully it’ll be Rob Johnson, not Brad, under the helm for the Bucs.

Next week is Wild Card weekend. For the AFC, I’m picking the Jets over the Colts 31-14 and Steelers over the Browns 17-9. The Jets are making a strong run, they’ve tightened their defense in the past few games, and Pennington has played quite well. As much as I love Peyton Manning, Indy has no defense at all, and I just don’t see them as a threat at all in this game. The Browns got lucky by making the playoffs and I expect their luck to run out. It looks like Kelly Holcomb may start, which gives them a boost in offense, but I think the Steelers are too good. Look at what they did to the Bucs last week. I say 17-9, but it could easily be 27-9, just depending on how soon Cleveland’s D gives up.

For the NFC, I see the Favre leading the Pack over Vick’s Falcons in a shootout, ending at 31-27. Vick is going to be a great QB, and is already one of the league’s best, but I just don’t see anyone beating the Packers at home, in the playoffs, where they are unbeaten in the history of the franchise. Plus it’ll be cold at Lambeau, another deterrent for the Falcons, who normally play indoors in Atlanta. This is definitely the game of the week, especially for myself as a Packers fan. I think the Giants will bring the momentum they’ve built the last few games to pull an upset over the Niners in SF. I think it’ll be 17-10 in the end.

For the next round, I see no reason that the Raiders won’t completely annihilate the Jets. They are just a far superior team in every aspect. The interesting game will be the Titans against the Steelers. I will be cheering for the Steelers for the very reason that my brother likes the Titans, and it’ll make it more interesting to watch if we’re cheering for opposite teams. However, it won’t matter because the Raiders will beat either team regardless, in the following round. For the NFC, the big game will be my Packers against the Bucs in Tampa Bay. I am really hoping that Brad Johnson is PUP for this one, because no team led by Rob Johnson can win a game, no matter how good their defense is. Chances are it will be Brad though, since Jon Gruden is no Wade Phillips. In this case I think Favre’ll really have to dig deep to win this. I am so cheering for Favre in this game, but it’ll be a very close game. I think the Giants will beat the Eagles, ruining McNabb’s return to action. It’ll be Raiders vs. Packers/Bucs in the San Diego for the Super Bowl.

No comments: