June 09, 2004

Bird: You know the one thing that always bothered me when I was playing in the NBA was, I really got irritated when they put a white guy on me. I still don't understand why.
(laughter)
Bird: A white guy would come out, I would always ask him, 'What, do you have a problem with your coach? Did your coach do this to you?' And he would say, 'No,' and I'd say, 'Come on, you got a white guy coming out here to guard me; you got no chance.' And for some reason, that always bothered me when I was playing against a white guy."
...and he was dead serious, not so much as a grin or anything. Just straight up said it, as though he meant every word. Everyone else (Jim Gray, Magic Johnson, Carmelo Anthony, Lebron James) was laughing, but he was deadpanned. Pretty funny stuff..

Btw, and I pretty much stand by this: If Charlotte takes Iguodala, everything should fall into place and Raptors should get Gordon. I forgot that Washington really likes Childress.. but I also think they need a big man. Anyway, Ben Gordon, if he comes to the Raptors, will win rookie of the year.

No comments: