June 14, 2004

luke jackson

I read this interview between Luke Jackson and one of the writers at DraftCity.com, a week ago. He seemed very intelligent and as a player who stayed in college, seemed very poised and confident. Needless to say I was very impressed by the attitude he displayed, and his tactful answers.

Anyway, why I brought this up, it reminds me of many years ago when I read about the 3 big QBs -- the year of Couch, Culpepper, McNabb (also in that draft was Cade McNown and Akiki Smith). I think it's unfair to think Couch has failed as a QB. Playing for an expansion club has severe downsides because you are always dealing with personnel changes and it literally takes years to establish a good offensive line. Anyway, I remember reading this article about the big 3, and how despite Culpepper being the best athlete of the 3, it was McNabb who scored the highest marks in the aptitude/intelligence tests.

Although McNabb struggled earlier on in his career compared to the massive leaps and bounds Culpepper pulled earlier in his career, we now see McNabb as being the true winner. The guy who is leading his team into the playoffs, and really garnering a lot of MVP support.

Anyway, I just wanted to say this because it just says a lot about intelligence and poise, moreso than pure athletic ability (not that Donovan McNabb isn't an amazing physical specimen). Emeka Okafor finished his college degree in just 3 years, and is projected to go first or second. I'm slowly beginning to think 2nd, simply because Orlando needs to watch their "backs" -- literally, since McGrady also has a history of back problems. Haha.. bad pun. So yeah, Luke Jackson should hit top 12-15 I think.. he's should shoot up the draft boards of teams know what they're doing!

edit: Oh yeah, just wanted to add a blurb about Cade McNown, wherever he is. Cade: You saved me more than a few times in your rookie season. (It's a good thing my league didn't count INTs) I dunno what happened to you, but if you could've shored up your off-field problems you could have had a pretty solid NFL career. Just look at Jake Plummer, he sucks ass and he's still in the league, and you were better than he is.

No comments: