June 07, 2004

flames, lightning

I haven't really commented much about the Stanley Cup Finals, with good reason -- I haven't watched a single game yet. But tonight I plan on watching Game 7. I know that a lot of you are cheering for the Calgary Flames, and rightfully so as they are "Canada's" team this year, and we finally have a shot at bringing the Cup home.

Although I guess I'll be cheering for Calgary since Jarome Iginla is one of my favorite non-Leaf players, I'll be equally happy for either team winning it.

The Tampa Bay Lightning are full of Canadian players, including their best player Martin St.Louis, Vincent Lecavalier, and a player who is quite dear to my heart -- former Toronto Maple Leaf, Dave Andreychuk.

Dave Andreychuk was a part of what I consider the glory years, the days of Doug Gilmour. Those years we had the closest shot at reaching the Stanley Cup finals out of any of the past few Sundin-led years. If you really think about it, the only real highlight in the last 5 years has been eliminating Ottawa -- outside of that we have had little or no chance of making it to the Finals.

Andreychuk was awesome for us.. He's 40 years old now, and looking for his first Cup. He holds a dubious record for playing the most NHL games without winning a Stanley Cup. He's the Karl Malone of hockey.

So anyway, like I said, between seeing Jarome Iginla hoist the cup and Dave Andreychuk, either is good for me -- although Jarome probably has a shot for many years to come, while Andreychuk is probably done after this season.

No comments: