August 23, 2004

fantasy pool

You have to see this trade I was offered. I draft 2nd overall in this one league drafting on Wednesday night. This kid's favorite player is LaDainian Tomlinson, and he figures that LDT will fall second just after Priest Holmes. So anyway, check out this offer he sent me last night:

Offered me:
1.11, 2.03, 4.03, 6.03, 12.03

For:
1.02, 5.02, 9.02, 15.02, 16.11

This offer would give me 6 picks in the first 4 rounds. According to my projections, this deal would improve my draft by 44%. For the record, I've made some henous deals in my time, crimes you wouldn't believe, but I think this would be the most lucrative deal ever. And.. I plan to counter-offer to give myself an even better deal.

I'm perfectly happy drafting 2nd overall if the deal doesn't work out. Picking up LDT in this league makes perfect sense because I've devoted maybe 10 hours of preparation for this league compared to maybe a 100 hours for the other (keeper) league. LDT is so sure of a thing that after drafting him I can pretty much do any strategy I want, whereas if I did this trade it would force me to actually think during the draft.

The break down is as follows. This is by tiers, of course:

Original draft position:
QB: QB5
RB: RB1, RB3, RB3, RB4
WR: WR3, WR4, WR5
TE: TE4

After trade:
QB: QB4
RB: RB2, RB2, RB3
WR: WR1, WR2, WR2
TE: TE2

So on average, overall the team can vastly improve even if I don't get a top tier RB. Keeping in mind that I'm very critical in tiering my players. Priest and LDT get their own tier, for instance. Then McAllister, Alexander, Green, Portis. Then the rest.

No comments: