August 02, 2004

revisiting bethany dillon

Having had my fill of my favorite two cd's (Mercyme - Undone, David Crowder Band - Illuminate), and my 3rd favorite (Hillsong United - More Than Life) was all the way downstairs in my car, I decided to check out the top Christian hits off the Billboard site.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Bethany had hit the top 20 again, this time with "All I Need", so I went back to her site. She has all her stuff for free right off the site, just for listening enjoyment. For those of you who have surfed on over to her site -- she is 15 and writes her own stuff. Check out "Beautiful".. i can definitely relate.


Actually what's interesting is that recently I was talking to a friend from Shanghai, and he was telling me how there's almost no artists from China that are successfully writing and singing. All the big stars there are like Britney -- all they do is sing, and none of the famous song writers actually sing their own stuff, either because they can't sing, or they're just not good-looking enough.

I think that's a reflection of the culture, how, parents are just not allowing their kids to explore their own experiences. Why is it that every CBC I know is either in accounting (finance), engineering (tech), or teaching (education)? How many times were you thwarted by your parents when you told them you wanted to be something different, like an artist? It's almost unheard of.

Think about it -- over a billion people over there, and they managed to produce a *single* good basketball player.


So anyone, this is the next CD I'll be buying.

No comments: