August 21, 2004

off the hook

Yesterday we didn't have small group per se, instead I invited people over to jam. It was a fun night, but it could have been a lot better. Perhaps next time I'll try to organize it more rather than have it ad-hoc like the way we had it.

It became more of a gathering and not really even fellowship, more like hanging out. I really felt as if we lost God during the singing. The only time we had real fellowship was at prayer time, and instead of having a good sharing time it turned into jokes and digression. I'm not sure how we let that happen, but.. whatever.

Anyway, regarding my title. Yesterday I also learned that Anita is interested in leading a small group. Which means there will be 3 groups, which gets me off the hook for this whole thing of a men's group.

Friday afternoon I chatted with my cousin Grayson, about opportunities of serving in church, and he pointed out that if I was scared to do something, but there was a need for such a service, then I should do it. He went through the same thing in his church, for leading worship. In his case, he was also scared to do it, but there became a need for a new leader. God provided this open door and opportunity for him.

For me, I was scared to do it, but the door closed. God's way of pointing me in another direction, I guess.

texas hold 'em

I know that I've joked about this before, but I've given this serious thought lately. I talked to Daniel about this once because he told me he was really into it, and knew a lot of guys who were also into it. I like watching it on TV. Then yesterday my cousin Clark told me that a lot of people at his church are into it. And I know that Alf has considered buying a set of chips, for similar purpose as one I am about to suggest. I know that Lon has had at least one meeting of something similar.

Let's push my men's group idea off to the side and suggest the following: A poker ministry.

Okay, so some of you are cringing. Poker? What?! Gambling? How can gambling be a ministry? You have church in one hand, and poker in the other? Vegas? Sin City?

Poker... or CARDS for that matter, is a great male bonding tool. Take 4 total strangers (men), lock them in a room for 2 hours. What do you get? I shudder to think the results of such an experiment.

But take the same 4 guys, but this time give them a deck of cards -- and I guarantee you when you open the door there will be 4 guys having fun, laughing it up, bonding --- friends. That's the magic of cards and men.

Poker has always been a guy thing. It's the time when men gather together, play a game of cards and talk about things. What things.. anything. Life, kids, wife, work. And God. Sure, why wouldn't we talk about God, about spiritual issues?

Poker ministry. This is certainly a viable ministry but it would be a challenge, as with any ministry. Take any competitve sport ministry for instance. Sometimes, teams become too competitive. In my opinion, the whole point of sport ministry is to show God's grace, and to fellowship with one another. It's really got nothing do with the sport itself.. sure you play the sport, but it's what you do while your playing that really matters. If the focus is not on God during the game, then you're just playing the sport.

Aside: This reminds me of a time in highschool when my friend Sabin thought that the Chinese Chess club was just chinese people playing regular chess. If you're in a sports ministry and you're just playing the sport, then it's not longer a ministry, you're just a bunch of Christians playing the sport.

So the trick with a poker ministry is to prevent people from making it about poker. How do you do this. I'll get back to this later.. it's 1:30 in the morning and service is in 8 hours.

No comments: