August 02, 2004

tennis

Roger Federer reminds me of Martina Hingis, with a little bit more "oomph". Great control of the ball, not particularly powerful in any of his strokes or serving. Just great placement. That was enough to beat Roddick to win the trophy. Hingis held up her end of the bargain for many years despite extremely powerful competition (Williams' sisters, Davenport, Seles, Mauresmo, etc.) by just playing the same way Federer is playing. Eventually, power will win out, but right now it's Federer's day to shine.

amish

Yes.. I cannot defend my actions but I watched "Amish in the City", the latest in the string of what appears to be the neverending I-don't-think-people-will-ever-get-sick-of-these reality television shows.

So anyway I watched it, and I don't regret it. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. I mean they actually try to deal with some of the issues of prejudice and stereotyping. Okay, so the premise is 5 amish people get into a house with 5 city folk, and 1 vegan (also a city folk). I'm not sure what the idea is, I mean I don't think they have a voting system or anything.

Anyway, this one part they made all the city folk dress up in amish clothing and go into town. And a few of them came to the realization of what it is like for an amish to go into town and just look at them funny because of they way they are dressed. I thought that was kinda neat. Also, one of the amish girls had never been to the beach, so they went and she was overwhelmed by the sight of it, it was a pretty touching moment.

movie rental

A "Videobee" Video rental store opened up in the mall below me. Apparently they are cheaper than Blockbuster. The Sporkchek down there closed and is turning into a Futureshop. At this rate, I may never have to go outdoors again. If only they built a church down there..

No comments: