April 11, 2004

easter

today, Duncan got baptised. it is always a joyful time for me whenever someone, especially someone I know, gets baptised. every time there is a baptismal at church i always like to sit at the front, i'm like kinda like a little kid at a candy store. it's truly an exciting experience to see one of my friends decide that they want to 'officially' commit their life to Jesus. it's that, and weddings, I guess.. two events which i'm most excited for the people involved.

perhaps, that's the reason people are hesitant when it comes to baptism, they think it's like a wedding, the commitment and all that..ha

after service i went to sunday school, and again the topic was faith. dL (and the video) talked about how when the israelites crossed the Jordan River, the priests carrying the covenant thing pretty much stepped right into the river, and how, the river wasn't shallow at first, it was pretty much "the deep end" as soon as you walked off the shore. And thus, those guys had to have tons of faith to just to make that first step. Of course, God stopped the water from flowing, but would you have enough faith to take the first 'plunge' ? It's not like it's just you, you can just swim back up.. you're carrying something really heavy -- and sacred too. it was their duty to protect that thing.

it got me thinking about taking those 'first steps' towards anything, about how maybe God holds back on things He has prepared for us, just waiting for us to take that first step before He unleashes the awesome wonders He has in store for us.

I've decided that I will name my second daughter "Faith".. I mean, if i have a second daughter.

Today, Lent is over. Time for games? I dunno.. life has been 'different' without games. Here are the PROs and CONs that I've discovered:

Positives:
(a) More time in general. Literally 2-3 hours of spare time per day.
(b) More focused; the 'obsession' was gone, i used to daydream about gaming while at work, or at church.
(c) Spent more time with friends, got more reading done, practised more guitar.
(d) Better health; less video games = less skipped meals.
(e) Saved money; a gaming life is not cheap!

Negatives:
(a) Loss of alertness; my brain has been less worked up, and thus I have not been as 'sharp'
(b) Lost an outlet of anger; Games allow me to vent my frustrations and anger at a inanimate object. Without games, I have been more likely to lash out at people, for no reason.
(c) Watched a ton of television (mostly garbage) during my Lent.
(d) Messed up my sleeping patterns. (I think this might have more to do with something else, but for now I'll blame it on this.)

No comments: