April 01, 2004

Happy April Me's Day everyone!

Now that my barre chords are finally coming to being, I figured the next step is playing solo's. Not that I'm any good at the barres, but at least I can somewhat eke out sound when I attempt it. From there practicing will just help me to switch quicker. Ultimately I'd like to be able to play songs using only the barre's, but I'm still a long ways from that.

I pulled out my exodus cd last night. Exodus still has to be one of the best "Various Artists" cd's that I own. My goal is to learn the guitar part of My Will by DC Talk. I think that learning the entire song will take me 2-3 months if I work hard at it, and hopefully by the 1 month mark I'll be able to start attempting other solo's as well. So far I have figured out the intro, which is pathetically easy. The first line of verse 1, I've managed to get the fingering but the switching is tough and I haven't gotten the timing down yet.

The callous that I'd built up from last month's playing have started to peel. I'm a bit concerned because if they fall off then I'll have to rebuild them again. I found that the skin behind the callous is actually a bit harder than normal, so for my pinky I (chewed) off the callous to reveal fresh skin. I think of all the fingers the pinky has the softest skin and will need the most work growing hard skin.

Right.. so anyway, I read on the newspaper that a judge has ruled swapping music to be legal in Canada. He equated swapping songs to photocopying books at a library. If those two are the same, then isn't copying software the same? And what about DVD's? I guess we'll have to see how this whole thing unfolds. In my opinion, if the entire country allows such things, the record labels will simply boycott the entire country, or tax Canadians heavily on all sorts of media. Once again, the honest people will get penalized.


There was a funny feeling in my index finger on my left hand all yesterday and until 10 minutes ago. As if there was a sliver in it, and yet there was no red spot or anything showing. Curiously, it's gone now after an hour of guitar practice. Hmm..

No comments: