July 14, 2004

church

I had a discussion with Kev last night about the merits of attending a church that really challenges you as opposed to going to a church that gives you the chance to challenge others. Actually it wasn't much of a discussion, it lasted maybe 10 minutes tops.

The trade-off between getting the most out of church, or church getting the most out of you. It's the very reason that I originally had no intention of calling this nomadic church going a "church-hopping" thing but more of a "visitation". However, the contrast being so drastic as it were, got me thinking about perhaps the possibility of moving on.

Honestly I haven't given it that much thought at all. Part of me fears moving on. The fact that my family isn't here, and my only friends are at my church, outside of work friends. Not that work friends aren't as important, in fact they really are, I'm quite close to a good number of them. I guess the attachment is there, and leaving that would be scary. Part of me also feels like I have more to offer and moving on is like a cop-out.

On the other hand if try to think back of the last time I felt really challenged by a sermon or sunday school discussion, I would have to think back pretty far. I haven't gotten anything out of sunday school since two summers ago when Daniel taught us about spiritual warfare. And as far as sermons go, outside of the quarterly "fire and brimstone" Harding messages, sermons have been fairly routine for the past year.

Kev made a point that some people go on a never ending search to be challenged, and never get the fact that it's time to start giving back. The grass is always greener on the other side, is what he pointed out. In fact there are people who don't even realize it, they just go on and on, in an endless search for the ultimate church.

I dunno, it's something to think about, to pray about. This week I'll be going to Oasis, where Kev is going.

Next week possibly my old church. I also want to hear someone speak in tongue. And attend a black church.

No comments: