July 27, 2004

I, Brian

I have read a few Asimov books.  They're good books, I have enjoyed every one of his books that I have read.  I've read I, Robot.  This movie was loosely based on I, Robot, which wasn't a novel but a collection of short stories dealing with complications with the 3 Laws. 

Going into the theatre I expected a Bad Boys with robots -- very low expectations.  I, Robot had basically everything I could have expected from an Asimov movie, plus Will Smith's antics and an annoying female "eye candy" character.  Aside from those two characters though, I loved the movie. 

There was comedy, action, and it was a thinker.  And, if you've never read Asimov, it would've kept you guessing til the end.  The graphics were awesome, very well integrated into the film, and the effects were really cool too, Matrix-esque, with some scenes that I would just exhale "cool".  And yeah, I guess Will Smith was funny as usual which added another dimension to it..

... there was one line in it that I'm still chuckling to myself about. 

Just one thing keeps it from being the movie of the year.  Well, two really -- the girl was pointless, and the movie started out a bit slow.

I give it a 9/10, putting it in 2nd place behind Spiderman 2 for best movie of the year.

No comments: