July 11, 2004

ETCBC

Today I went to East Toronto Chinese Baptist Church. What I liked about this church is that there seemed like a genuine interest in coming to worship God, and not just something to do on a Sunday. What I mean is it didn't feel like people were just going through this weekly routine. Of course, it's hard to gauge this when you don't know the people.

For singing, they sang 3 songs and they didn't milk the choruses over and over annoyingly like some people do at my church. For sermon notes check with my other site.

After sermon people rushed off to Sunday School. I've always felt like (at least for me), during sunday school I'd keep watching the clock and just hope it would end soon. I dunno if that's just my sinful nature or total disinterest in the topics they are discussing, or my impatience or hunger. At any rate I was starving but felt like the class ended too quickly. We watched a video of Harvey Kerry, a black preacher speaking at Willowcreek. He was very good, very powerful and challenging. Funny too. He spoke about the Word, and how we should all get back to reading the Bible.

Seems like God has been calling me out lately to read the bible more. Lon made a great point about how a lot of us read so many books and then go and tell people about what we read, rather than going straight to the source and sharing His word. What ends up happening is we end up delivering a very dilluted message.

It's like if you're trying to learn about a war, you could read thousands of books and watch movies about it, but if you spent an hour with a veteran, you would get so much more out of it. Similarly, reading books about Jesus pales in comparison to reading about Jesus from the source, the Bible.

Anyway I just thought that was great and I re-committed myself to being a regular scripture reader. No more excuses, now that my grandparents are gone I can no longer complain of not having any quiet time to myself.


Something I noticed about ETCBC, is that the Sunday school teachers seem rather pleased with themselves when class ends later than they should have. I think that's great.

No comments: