July 14, 2004

Today marks the end of training users, at least for a couple of weeks. Training has been somewhat of a blessing and also just very tiresome. On the one hand it gives me a lot of practice in speaking in front of an audience. One thing I've learned about myself is that I do far better going 1-on-1 with users to explain things than I do to a larger crowd of people. Monday and Tuesday were spent taking turns with my co-worker and a summer student, teaching various parts of the system.

As each day passed I was given more responsibility, and then today she handed over the reins to me and I taught the entire day. I sort of did enjoy it, even though history would show that I hate teaching. The thing is though, when you really know your stuff, you can be completely fearless out there. When someone asks you a mind-boggling question, that's when it's time to panic.

It's Wednesday but honestly it feels like a Friday, I'm that tired. My voice is a little craggly from all the speaking, explanations, answering. I'm currently in the midst of cleaning up the place so that it can be at least somewhat presentable for small group on Friday.

I've been missing small group on and off, firstly from my own inner struggles and depression, and then from the busyness of keeping my grandparents happy, and then just having better things to do. (I don't mean to say that small group isn't important, but sometimes opportunities arise for me to visit or spent time with friends that I haven't spent time with in a long time). I suppose that's a poor excuse, but I'm going with it :)

No comments: