July 31, 2004

dr. strangelove

I have wanted to see this movie for the last 3 years, ever since I spotted it in the top 20 on IMDB.com's top 250 movies list. Even moreso, I once read a Tom Cruise interview and he said that "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" was his favorite movie.

So anyway, I bought the movie because I spotted it, of all places, in an Electronic Boutique.

I watched it after work today, right before small group. Probably not the best 'prep' for small group, but anyhow.

Stanley Kubrick's movie is a dark humor film, in black and white. It's set after the WWII and is completely and totally fictional. It's the Nuclear arms race essentially, pitting the US against Communist Russia. The main actor was Peter Sellers, I have no idea who he is, but apparently he's well known. He played 3 different characters in the movie. A very young James Earl Jones is in the movie too.

But I appreciated two other characters the most, neither of whom were played by Sellers. Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson was hilarious, and so was Brig. Gen. Jack D. Ripper. Dr. Strangelove is just plained strange. He made me laugh on a few occasions though.

The storyline is basically this General (Ripper) who goes bezerk and orders a nuclear assault a Russia, and due to some pretty coincidental and just plained silly reasons, they have a seriously difficult time stopping the attack.

I can't rate this movie because it's just so different from anything I've seen before. But it was a good movie.. I can see how it could be someone's favorite movie..

No comments: