July 17, 2004

habitat for humanity
 
Today I went with Anita to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity.  Even though I've done tons of projects with my dad over the past years I must admit I felt pretty overwhelmed with what they were doing.  I've never built a house from bottom up.  The stuff I've done is renovations, not creations.  I definitely never dealt with floor joists.  I've done flooring, but that was basement so there was just cement underneath.
 
Anyway, I should stop making excuses because the average volunteer had no experience either.
 
It was really hot, and I am hopelessly out of shape.  Gosh, I love the font in this Compose mode.. So anyway, I think I got sunburnt on the back of my neck.  I spent a lot of time standing in the sun, not doing much.  No, I don't believe in sunscreen lotion.
 
Lots of times I felt pretty useless out there, it seemed like there was more people than they needed.  There was this one funny moment though, that I imagined my honeymoon would be like this, where me and my wife would travel to a third-world country, and build homes/huts voluntarily.  That would be our honeymoon.  That would be so great.. No, seriously!

No comments: